Saturday, May 15, 2010

Picks of the week: Nylon and Karl Lagerfeld’s Guide to Life


For a long time, I read the usual women’s magazines like Her World and Female, but there’s only so much you can take of stories like “My husband dumped me after having sex with our family dog” or whatever, before you yearn for something more sincere.
This is why I like reading Seventeen despite the fact that I’m way out of that age range – the magazine is bright and happy and the clothes are cute but perfectly affordable.


This is also why I love reading Nylon (from founder of Raygun, Marvin Scott Jarrett).  Unlike many other magazines available to us here, Nylon feels like it’s more into actual fashion and art than trashy stories and sex advice.  It also treads a nice line between mainstream and out of left field (the most recent cover girls were Portia Doubleday, Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Greene but the pages always give consideration to different types of design and look fresh).

I love how some of the letters people send in are actual collages and physical letters, just like they used to on MTV until everything became so darn electronic.


I also like the quirky taglines for things – this one reads “Lagoons are salty and shallow and you’re not – but great colours, no?” which you wouldn’t usually see in your run of the mill women’s weekly.


The only thing that bothers me, and I suspect will continue to bother me about many magazines for eons, to come is are pages like this with cute sketched shoes and luxury socks that you can buy for hundreds of dollars. 
Excuse me, the $9.50 I pay for the magazine is already a bit of a stretch.  I don’t think I would ever be able to drop a couple hundred on socks that would cost me $3 at a roadside kiosk and I doubt most readers would be able to either. 
Available at Borders, Wheelock Place.

If you’re into something more snarky and cheaper (READ: free), then Karl Lagerfeld’s Guide to Life is it.  Written by someone called “Fake Karl”, the guide is a witty and satirical look at the fashion world and the people who inhabit it. 
For a taste, take this most recent post about photographer Terry Richardson, who has been accused of sexually assaulting his models:
“The subject at hand is Terry Richardson: A terrible photographer and sexual predator. I loathe this man's photography, because it has all the intelligence of a four year old and the sexual sophistication of a donkey. It is as thick as a whole omelette, and it's as dirty as a dungbeatle who has lost interest in his career and really let itself go...”
And further down:
“The point, Mr. Zahm, is that Richardson most likely had non-consensual sex with these girls. That's rather a big deal, no? With my models, I'm very protective of them- they're like my children, but very tall and sometimes mistaken for trees. I have a lot of affection for trees. Some of my favourite conversations have been with trees. Anyway- the quote made me lose a lot of respect for Mr. Zahm, who I didn't always agree with before, but I didn't dislike either. He will not be coming to any more tea parties.”
Fabulous, dahlings!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails