Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The secret garden


My friend Jon lives in a brick house so lush that we get really excited when we're invited for drinks and snacks.  My favourite part of the house, despite his attic room crammed from floor to ceiling with books, cds and movies, is the garden.  It's one of the first real "English" gardens I've seen here, or at least, the first garden I've seen that complies with all my childhood visions of the English fairytale back yard.

The house opens right out onto the road, so it's a huge surprise when one is led around the sight and into a quiet, scented green tangle, quite tucked away from the rest of the world.


I imagine that if you press back the vines and creepers, the little stone or wought-iron lizards sneaking beneath them will suddenly come to life and flee with flicking tails.

We were invited for a garden party a couple of weeks ago, and I wore a casual, comfortable outfit conducive to stuffing my face.

Tied-waist blouse and brogues - New Look.
Pants - Zara.  Necklace - Made by mother.  Sunnies - Primark.  
Bangle - Vintage.

This summer blouse that ties at the waist is made of the thinnest, smoothest cotton, so light it's like wearing a cloud.  The photos (and my terrible posture) don't do it justice!
Photos of me by Shriya

And of course, what would such a gathering be without the food, artfully put together by Jon and his parents?  We had a hell of a time running in and out of the massive kitchen, complete with a rustic island at one end and an actual iron stove at the other.  At one point, my friends Gruff, Tori, Hilary and I actually gathered round and performed a loud (and squiffy) acapella rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody.  There is footage of it, but if I show you, I'll have to kill you.

Despite all the mad laughter, running around and the copious amounts of food...


... even I got a little distracted.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

i still can't get over how much we ate that day...Jon, whens the next party?! :P

Anjuly said...

The garden looks awesome. And so does the food.

Bonnie said...

You are way.too.cute. I absolutely love these pictures, and I think this house is b-e-a-utiful!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

The.Red.See said...

Lovely photos! The garden is beautiful and the food looks amazing!

Tori said...

Aw, what a lovely evening that was. I am gutted you didn't invite me to go lizard-catching with you, though. Wanting all the pet iron lizards for yourself huh?

(Or was it just that I was too drunk? >_>)

aki! said...

I think outfits to eat in should be its own special category.

Outfits for nights out, for casual days ... and to eat in.

Grace said...

My gosh! He's got an amazing house :D It's so pretty!! And I'm so jealous!! lol!
Anyway I love your outfit! Perfect shoes :D

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

What a stunning place. x hivenn

Unknown said...

There's always so much positivity in your posts! You look happier than ever, too. Oh I'd give a lot to go there, I have a thing for deserted nature. Like old castles, gardens, woods. As if it has a story to tell of long ago.

menina elegante said...

Your friend's house is amazing! The statue of the girls face on the side of the house is very cute! Love it! And I adore your really colorful necklace. Just so cute. :) x

noone said...

the garden looks so pretty, reminds me of something from a movie :D and that necklace you are wearing looks like delicious candy, yummmm! hehe

Pri said...

I LOVE THIS HOUSE. AND THE KITCHEN. ZOMG.

Alice Mary said...

My god, this house is GORGEOUS!

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

asdjkalsdkja AH. The backyard IS totally fairy tale esque! These pictures are absolutely gorgeous! You are so cute. I looove the pose!

QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

Helen said...

Your shoes are gorgeous. And the food looks so tasty and fresh

Camille said...

everything looks so delicious!
that garden really seems amazing! i wish i had a garden, but my house's yard is too small for one...
it seems like a nice place to read a book, which i love doing!
thanks so much for recognizing the hard work of translating everything! it's really not that easy! thank you for joining Magic Minutiae! i really appreciate it! :)

Magda said...

your blog is very cool¡¡¡ kisses from Mexico :)

Shoe said...

@Seasons - I know right! I can't wait for the next one!

@Anjuly - Come for the next one! We'll chase each other round the garden :P

@Tori - It WAS awesome... I would've invited you, but I feared that they would come to life and start spitting acid and I was protecting you ;)

Kari. said...

oh my -- what a place! It does look just like a Secret Garden! Gorgeous! and great pictures once again. I have to look and see what kind of camera you have. Love that last picture of you. And yes, I want to see Bohemian Rhapsody!

Related Posts with Thumbnails