Monday, August 15, 2011

Off-duty effortless

Shriya, Anjuly and I have sleepovers at least once a month.  I don't remember how it started, just that we would hang out into the wee hours of the morning until there didn't seem to be a point going back home for bed anymore.

I was never allowed sleepovers as a child.  I seriously missed out on all the fun stuff that other girls got to do with their female friends, and in a way, I'm making up for lost time.  

We've since gotten our sleepover system down to an art.  I bring my duvet and an extra pillow, the hosting person (either Anjuly or Shriya) clears space on the bed and floor and nibbles are provided by all.  We even have a timetable of sorts - traditionally dinner, or a massive snack fest, followed by a couple of chick flicks and then gossip or discussions that go on for hours.  And always, always breakfast the next morning. 

On the face of it, it's a really frivolous, girly thing to do, but behind closed doors, things can get pretty intense and I don't mean in the way school boys always imagine.  As the moon peaks and then starts to set, we talk about our pasts, our futures, our hopes, our dreams, our fears.  We laugh a lot over juicy tidbits, but the talk can also get pretty serious.  Somehow after midnight, everyone's guard comes down and thoughts are shared, some so private and secret that we don't even mention them the next morning.

Breakfast is a different matter.  A phone alarm goes off, and I, ever filled with anxious energy, bound out of bed and get dressed first.  Shriya gets ready second while Anjuly lolls around in bed till the last possible minute, then we all troop to the nearest coffee place to giggle and chat.  At this point, I'm usually feeling a bit scuzzy and bedraggled, and shuffle for coffee in the closest thing to pajamas I can get away with.  

Not Anjuly.


Miss Thing has perfected the morning after outfit (a crisp white shirt, jeans and cute flats) that would blend in equally well at brunch with the girls, a shopping expedition or a lunch date.  I often hear lots of people talk about how models and actresses dress off-duty - a neat, simple, classic pulled together look.  But I seldom see anyone (myself included) carry it off so well in real life. 

In particular, I love the details that elevate this from a simple jeans and shirt ensemble.  The dainty gold hoops, the coordinating but not overly matchy structured bag and tortoiseshell sunnies and the subtle snakeskin print.  And I love that her belt is a contrasting colour.  Whoever said black and brown shouldn't be worn together didn't know what they were talking about.  

The next time we have a sleepover, I'm going to attempt to look equally pulled together - well, as pulled together as I can be after a night of flaming gossip.  Hah!

24 comments:

Helen said...

Gah I wish I could look so effortless!

Temporary:Secretary said...

very sophisticated and chic! So lovely! x

menina elegante said...

love how she looks! :D x

onesixthreechirp said...

I love your top! :D

the nyanzi report said...

lovely style. i love the simplicity of it all.

Lena said...

Great outfit! I love your bag!

The Cat Hag said...

Your sleepovers sound so fun, it's fantastic really to share your intimate secrets and dreams with your friends on such a regular basis. :)

Friendship definitely makes the world go round!


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Fashionistable said...

Yep she has this one sussed. Wish I looked so good on not much sleep and pulled together quickly for breakfast. Xxxx

Margarida said...

Hello!!! You look so cute and beautiful in this outfit! And I'm so in love with your flats! I want one like those!!!! ;)
Kisses

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

Effortless looks are the best! You look super chic - I feel like my sister would love to own your outfit! Great photos. They have a great vibe, ooh!

QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

trishie said...

What a great outfit...i love the effortless look.

yiqin; said...

<3 your earrings!

J said...

Great blog! Beautiful photos and outfit! Like it! :)

http://liberty-walk-sara.blogspot.com/

noone said...

I love those flats that you are wearing soo much! they are so cute and the print is very unique!

Camille said...

it's so nice to meet your friends frequently! i have some friends from my school days who i see til this day! so much fun!

LadyNansei said...

I was never allowed sleepovers as a child (mainly because all my friends were boys >.<) and even now (as a teenager) my mother hates the idea of a sleepover (rape reasons. Because my friend's silbings/parent is apparently uncontrolable). I actually don't really care about them, because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my own bed.

Anyway, to the images. I want Anjuly's blouse. I've been looking for one like that to wear under my knitted vest ;)

mirjam schuurkamp said...

you look amazing!
i ADORE that bag!
WOOW


New outfit post - Lets sheer it
www.mirfashion.blogspot.com

Winnie said...

I wasn't allowed to go to sleepovers when I was a child either. I had very over protective parents and since I was the oldest child...my younger sisters got it a lot easier! Bah!

Anyway- that bag is a little bit gorgeous. Looks so good against that white blouse.

El said...

She looks amazing! In love with her bag <3

classy & fabulous

xo

Sick by Trend said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sick by Trend said...

Beautiful outfit!! I really like it and those flats are gorgeous!! I'm following

Look my blog and follow me if you like :)

www.sickbytrend.com

xx

Have a nice weekend :)

sBt

Anonymous said...

Simple and beautiful

aki! said...

Wow. That's fantastic look. I think if I look that good for a date, I'd be lucky.

Dorothy Souhuwat said...

cute necklace

Related Posts with Thumbnails